About the Special Interest Group
The vision of the Circular Economy Special Interest Group is to have highly engaged local goverments facilitating the development and delivery of circular economy initiaties and business models at local level. This Special Interest Group will bring together local government officers responsible for leading and/or contributing to the delivery of circular economy initiatives and strategies within their municipality.
Its primary functions are to:
• Support and inspire Council officers to develop and deliver best practice circular economy strategies and initiatives
• Organise presentations from Councils with circular strategies and initiatives in place
• Provide networking opportunities for officers developing and delivering circular economy strategies and initiatives
• Share programs and initiatives which support businesses to take advantage of circular economy opportunities and transition to a circular economy and circular business models (that is, embed or introduce the following to their operations/business models: design out waste and pollution, keep products and materials in use and at their highest value for as long as possible and regenerate natural systems)
• Support Council officers to inform relevant internal stakeholders including councillors, executive, management, about the role Councils play in developing a circular economy
• Share information and resources on circular economy and local government
• Identify opportunities for network/group members to utilise existing platforms such as LGPro and Local Government Performance Reporting Framework to raise the profile and legitimise the importance of leading Councils playing a leadership role to develop the circular economy
• Provide a collective Council voice on the circular economy that can feed into and provide advice on circular economy strategies and plans developed by other organisations or levels of government
• Seek cross-Council opportunities to accelerate and collaborate on circular economy opportunities.